Hot Stone Massage
A hot stone massage is when basalt stones are heated in hot water and used during a massage. Basalt is used because it is a volcanic rock that retains heat that then penetrates deep into the tissue during a hot stone massage.
From an energetic perspective, these volcanic stones have grounding, balancing and emotionally calming qualities.
By relaxing both superficial and deeper muscles, the stones allow the therapist to work throughout the layers of tissue without having to use more pressure to get there.
Depending on where you hold the most tension, the therapist will center these stones in such a way as to provide continual relaxation and healing throughout your session. These stones may be left as they are, or may be used for Swedish hot stone massage techniques, which include tapping, kneading, circular strokes, long strokes, and vibrations, among other movements. This can help stimulate blood flow and loosen up any knots along your body.
This kind of massage affects the sensory system that stimulates the production of neuro-chemicals, which bring about a sense of overall wellbeing.
Besides that, the ultimate goal of Hot Stone massage, is deep relaxation that alleviates chronic and acute problems and facilitates balance.
- Strengthens body, mind and spirit
- Improves energetic anatomy of the body (releases blocked Qi in a meridian or body area)
- Balances yin & yang energies by promoting homeostasis.
- It improves vitality and general health
- Brings electromagnetic energy that the body converts into bio magnetic or naturally occurring energy
- Stimulates lymphatic activity by amplifying and pushing blood and energy through the vessels into the lymph system
- Improves immune system by detoxifying, purifying with a profusion of cool and hot energy
- Stimulates and relaxes the sensory nervous system
- Stimulates production of neuro-chemicals (endorphins, encephalin, cortisone, etc)
- Improves stress and irritability
- Improves digestion by relaxing para-sympathetic nervous system, which helps your body digest foods properly
- Relieves menstrual problems
- Eases sports injuries
- Relieves chronic and acute pain, muscle congestion, pain in the neck, back, arms, legs and joints
Hot Stone Massage is beneficial for most people and treatments can be adapted to suit individuals. However stone therapy is NOT suitable for people who have/are:
- Breaks in the skin.
- Recent or severe bruising, cuts or scrapes, sunburn or varicose veins, eczema, psoriasis
- Fever, cold or flu symptoms
- A fracture or serious osteoporosis
- A bleeding disorder
- Taking blood thinners, or have a history of heavy clotting
- Had surgery within 6 weeks of the massage (For postoperative state we recommend a Manual Lymphatic Drainage)
- A low platelet count
- Taking medication that causes skin hypersensitivity such as antibiotics or Acutane for acne.
- Heart disease
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Pregnancy (During pregnancy we offer specialized Pregnancy Massage)
If you plan to have regular Hot Stone Massage sessions at Massage Sense, we developed several discounted packages that will certainly meet your needs.
Unfortunately, few insurance companies cover this type of massage unless its prescribed as part of physical therapy for another health issue.
You should ask your insurance company if they cover Hot Stone Massage, and we can provide you with a detailed invoice.
We do NOT work with any insurance company, so please make sure to contact your health insurance company and check your policy coverage.
Do not use massage therapy to replace your regular medical care or as a reason to postpone seeing a health care provider about a medical problem.
If you have a medical condition and are unsure whether massage therapy would be appropriate for you, discuss your concerns with your health care provider. You might also look for published research articles on massage therapy for your condition
Cancelation policy – Fixed & Flexible Appointments
Cancelation policy - Fixed & Flexible Appointments
Do you still have questions?
We will gladly help you.
Just fill in the form below, call or Whatssap us at 0648066574